Thursday, March 15, 2018

Bevin Shits Himself in Public, Throws Poop, Loses Re-election

Is there no one on his staff who knows that the overwhelming majority of voters in Kentucky are public employees and teachers?  Legislators understand that, which is why the pension bill fucking over teachers is going nowhere in the General Assembly.

When Kentucky teachers chant "Vote. Them. Out. Vote. Them. Out." that's a death knell for any politician stupid enough to not do what the teachers tell her to do.

Jack Brammer in the Herald:
Gov. Matt Bevin ignited fresh outrage among Kentucky teachers Wednesday after he delivered a tongue-lashing to them for opposing Republican efforts to cut their retirement benefits, stupefying some of his GOP colleagues who called the remarks “inappropriate.”

During an interview Tuesday on WVLC radio in Campbellsville, Bevin called teachers who oppose Senate Bill 1 “selfish” and “ignorant,” comparing them to disloyal Americans who hoarded rationed goods during World War II.

“This would be like people having mass demonstrations about, ‘No I want my butter, I want my sugar, I’m going to keep all my steel and my rubber and my copper, and to heck with the rest of you people, you better keep giving me mine,’” Bevin said.

“That’s what it is, it’s the most remarkable commentary about who we are in modern times,” Bevin said. “It’s just straight up about wanting more than your fair share.”
Wednesday afternoon, Jefferson County Teachers Association President Brent McKim fired back: “We were shocked today by the disrespectful verbal attacks leveled at the teachers of Kentucky by Governor Bevin.”

“It’s true that countless teachers have had the audacity to stand up to our governor and the state legislature to demand the funding our students deserve and the retirement benefits we were promised,” McKim said on Facebook. “We ask our governor to remember he is a role model for Kentucky students too, so he should not be modeling name-calling or the disparaging of any group of our commonwealth’s citizens.”

Bevin’s remarks also were condemned by House Speaker Pro Tempore David Osborne, R-Prospect.

“I have not seen the exact comments of what was said today, I’ve only heard bits and pieces of them, but if they are as I’ve been told, I think they’re inappropriate and I think that they show a lack of understanding of the people who are impacting the lives of our young people in this state,” Osborne said. “He’s not talking about many of the teachers that I know, many of the teachers I still consider friends and many of the people who are still active participants in the education community.”

“For us to lose focus on the fact that we’ve got to do something about this problem is inappropriate, but it is made exponentially more difficult when people make indefensible statements,” he said.

Meanwhile, Senate President Robert Stivers expressed doubt Wednesday that lawmakers will approve controversial changes to the public pension systems during the legislative session that ends April 13, possibly setting up a special legislative session later in the year.
Dead. Governor. Walking.

No comments: