Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Belief vs. Facts, Round 12,649

It is to this nation's everlasting shame that a decade into the 21st century, law-abiding citizens have to defend lives lived on the basis of science and reason against attacks from superstitious followers of invisible sky wizards.

But PZ Myers indefatigably takes up the cudgels of rational thought against the latest anti-atheist fear-mongering.

There are no higher purposes discernible, but we happen to be here, so I think that looking for knowledge and value and even personal purpose in what is and what we are is far more sensible than asking a cold and mostly empty universe to whisper marching orders to us. Let's strip away imaginary cosmic dictators (who are always nothing but an Oz-like showpiece to empower little, petty, earthly dictators anyway) and search for meaning in how we live our lives and how we can better the world for our children.

SNIP

I always like how these doctrinaire promoters of "Judeo-Christianity" primly declare that they have such moral authority, when their faith has such a poor track record of promoting morality. Christians have advocated slavery, have murdered people for the awful crime of miscegenation, have decreed that people who don't have the kind of sex they prefer are second-class citizens. Christians are thieves, murderers, rapists, and jay-walkers; it seems that having a belief in a transcendent authority actually doesn't equate to being necessarily law-abiding and ethical or even, shocking as that may be, immune from the temptations of their natures.

SNIP

Why do these wackjobs always assume that reason and compassion are antagonistic? Reason tells me that it is a smart idea to be compassionate to the less privileged: maybe they have some ability that my society would find useful, to be pragmatic about it; there is no reason to assume that if someone is destitute, I must therefore do what I can to make their life more miserable; someone may be poorer or weaker than I am, but in turn, I'm poorer and weaker than someone else — does this warrant that I suffer? I also possess empathy, and when I see others harmed, I feel an echo of that pain myself. And, of course, perhaps someday I will have Alzheimer's, and I'd rather not encourage the growth of a culture that would someday discard me.

I also think there are a set of ideas that are entirely the product of reason: that we should build a whole culture that enables and sustains equal rights and equal opportunities for everyone, because that will maximize the happiness and productivity of our society. I really don't need a deity to tell me that, and it rarely seems to be a message promoted by religious hierarchies.

SNIP

We do have intrinsic natures that have been necessary to our success as a species: empathy, and the tendency to respond in kind to the actions of others. These can be accentuated by culture. We don't need any gods to be good to others, just the opportunity and the examples of our upbringing.

Read the whole thing. It's simple, straightforward, well-reasoned and persuasive. Not that it'll make any impression on the Tooth Fairy believers.

Cross-posted at They Gave Us A Republic ....

1 comment:

mud_rake said...

Yes, indeed! As you know, I often find myself doing battle with the most-righteous believers on my blog. They are an odd, peculiar lot of people, but they can't help themselves.

I have learned much about their thought-patterns, their way of looking at the world, and their need for control. It is a curious personality which drives them, one identified as a Number 6 on the Enneagram scale.

Characteristics of #6 include: committed, security-oriented,
engaging, responsible, anxious, and suspicious.

Think especially about the 'security-oriented' characteristic along with anxious and suspicious.

Doesn't that nail those fundamentalist christians to the tree? They want life to swing back to the 'good old days' of Bibles in school and Jesus openly expressed in legislatures and in city hall.

We must change. We are not able to function in society without their laws, rules, and prohibitions.

The truth of the matter is that THEY cannot change, adapt, allow others to maintain their personal life-style if it does not match their expectations and beliefs.

It must be a terrible life to live- always anxious always suspicious, always worried about 'change.'