Sunday, July 20, 2014

This Is What a Continuing War Crime Looks Like

It looks like this.

I cut no slack for Palestinians.  I am as anti-Palestinian as you are going to find among American liberals.

But this is not the Israel I grew up admiring.

This is not the Israel of the '70s Peace Movement.

This is not the Israel of the Camp David Accords.

This is not the Israel of Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin. Fuck, this is not even the Israel of that old terrorist Menachem Begin.

I do not believe what I am reading. I know it is true, but I don't believe it.

It fucking breaks my heart.

More than Vladimir Putin (and don't think that Israel's ground invasion of Gaza beginning right after Putin's Ukrainian allies shot down a passenger jet is a coincidence), more than Darth Cheney and the U.S. warmongers, more than every terrorist on the planet put together, the greatest threat to peace today is the country that was - for a moment, long ago - a beacon of civilization in a barbarous world:

Israel.

No comments: