Friday, December 30, 2016

The Resistance: Doing It in Line at the Grocery

Just wishful thinking maybe, but still inspiring.

Public Shaming:  It's Fun, and It Works.

 
So I'm in line at the grocery store, and the lady in front of me used Food stamps and the guy in back of me started hemming and hawing. He said, "My god, do you believe this?" like trying to get me and the others in line to participate in his disgust. As loudly, and roundly as I could, and my theatre background lets me PROJECT people:

"FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE"

He was shocked. I mean shocked. "I'D RATHER SEE MY HARD EARNED TAX DOLLARS GO TO FEED HER OR ANY OTHER FAMILY INSTEAD OF LAUNCHING A 20 MILLION DOLLAR MISSILE AT A CAMEL'S ASS. SHE'S IN A VETERAN'S FAMILY, DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT? YOU HAVE THE FUCKING NERVE TO SPIT ON OUR TROOPS BY AIRING YOUR SHIT NOW?"

"You think it's me and *MY* mouth?" he said,

'TRUST ME. EVERYONE HERE IS MORE OFFENDED WITH YOUR LITTLE DISPLAY THAN MY BIG ONE. YOU ARE A FUCKING TRAITOR AND ASSHOLE AND YOUR ACTIONS TOWARD THIS WOMAN IS WAY WORSE THAN MY PROFANITY ANYDAY"

The cashier laughed. I got three thumbs up and a high five.

Really.

Today.

About an hour ago.

After I cashed out, the hoopla went down, the lady approached me in the parking lot and told me thank you. Then, with pride, her eyes glistened, she said, "My father served in the Navy and my husband was a Marine before he died. How did you know?"

"I am the daughter of a Veteran too, we just have to stick together now. My Daddy didn't fight on foreign soil to see ours starve here. That man is the worst type of man"

Then she hugged me.

And I cried.

1 comment:

ohmemercylard said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It made my morning. I've heard of several recent incidents of people being shamed at checkout counter for using food stamps. This is the first time I've read of anybody standing up to such assholes. What a hero!