Friday, November 8, 2013

"It's basic human rights"

Louisville, Lexington, Covington, Vico and Frankfort already benefiting. Morehead will join them in December and Berea will before spring. Get on board, Shelbyville, Bowling Green and Elizabethtown, before you're left behind.

Theo Keith at WAVE-3 in Louisville:

On the same day the U.S. Senate voted to ban workplace discrimination against gay and transgender workers, a local group made the same push with less certain results.

Members of the Fairness Campaign asked the Shelbyville City Council to consider a similar ordinance Thursday, although no members voiced support for the idea publicly.

"Everyone has the right to their opinion, I'll give them that," said Cynthia Dare of Shelby County, who recently married her partner in Iowa. "I don't want to infringe on them, but I want protection when their beliefs would infringe on me and my friends."

The ordinance would be similar to one already in effect in Louisville and several other Kentucky cities. But the measure has never come before the council, Mayor Tom Hardesty said.

Hardesty declined to say whether he supported the idea, and the one council member who did speak said he disagreed with the group backing the ordinance.

"I appreciate you being here, I appreciate you having your views and I'm glad that you share them with us," member Bobby Andriot said.
 Watch the video.

No comments: