Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kentucky Too Conservative for AynRandPaul

To a post at TPM yesterday about Florida Governor Charlie Crist's apparent plans to blow the Senate race to smithereens by running as an indepedent, Zonk commented:

What I think I find most amusing this cycle --

Two of the RSCC's biggest and brightest recruits (Crist and Grayson in KY) are crashing and burning.

I'm not so sure about either one. Florida is the national insane asylum and nothing that happens there should surprise anyone. Kentucky is exactly the opposite: painfully predictable.

As I wrote in response to Zonk:

Trey Grayson's FUBAR campaign is 100 percent the fault of Mitch McConnell, even counting what a pathetic campaigner Trey is.

Mitch's arrogance in kicking ol' Non Compos Mentis Bunning to the curb, annointing Trey without even consulting Kentucky republicans, and assuming Kentucky would just fall into line and do Mitch's bidding screwed Trey from the getgo.

I think resentment of Mitch is behind the big poll numbers Rand Paul is putting up, and I think that support is thinner than toilet paper.

Kentucky voters are conservative, and not in the tea-party sense. They don't go for anything new and different until it's old and conventional.

I want Rand Paul to beat Trey, because he'll lose in the general (unless Mongiardo wins the dem primary.)

But I think there's a good chance that a lot of Kentucky repugs who have been venting their frustration with Mitch by telling pollsters they've voting for Rand will stand in that voting booth and revert to authoritarian type.

I give Trey a 50-50 chance of pulling off an upset that will kill the tea party.

Cross-posted at They Gave Us A Republic ....

No comments: