Monday, August 17, 2015

Ragionevole for Governor!

No, there is no such county as Jonesburg in Kentucky, nor any county seat by the name of Sharp's Peak.

But there should be. Because atheists are way more justified discriminating against freakazoids than any freakazoid ever could be justified discriminating against anyone else.

James Schlarmann
Posted with permission from The Political Garbage Chute
SHARP'S PEAK, KENTUCKY - When Kentucky's Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis defied the most recent federal order to perform her job duties as prescribed, regardless of the sexual orientation of the people seeking services and denied marriage licenses to gay couples again, that was the last straw for Michael Ragionevole, another Kentucky clerk in nearby Jonesberg County.

"When Ms. Davis turned those couples away," Ragionevole told The Political Garbage Chute, "I just about lost my shit and threw my remote through my TV." Ragionevole says that in his 12 years as a clerk in Kentucky he has had to marry all kinds of people who didn't share his lifestyle or beliefs. "I'm an atheist in Kentucky. There are more of us than you'd think, but we're still very much so in the minority. So while I'm not gay, I can sympathize with people being treated as less than human, and I know for a fact there are a lot of people in this state and around the country that would have no problem banning atheists from getting married."

Ragionevole told us that he has decided to protest Davis' resistance court-ordered equality under the law in a way that he acknowledges "might be a touch hypocritical," but that will "hopefully serve to just prove a point and inspire Davis to stop being such a bigoted shithead." Mr. Ragionevole told our interviewer that he will begin denying marriage licenses to any couple that is of the Christian faith, and tell them that his "profound, deep, and personal views of religion" prevent him "furthering the damage that Christianity has done throughout its history.
"You see, unlike homosexuality, I can actually point to incidents of violence, murder, and lawlessness instigated by so-called ‘good, clean Christians," Ragionevole told us. "The Ku Klux Klan? They're Christians. The inquisitions? Perpetrated by Christians. Timothy McVeigh? A Christian nut job. Who bombs abortion clinics and threatens doctors that work at them regularly? Yup, that's right, violent Christian sociopaths. I don't see a lot of violence at gay pride festivals, do you?"

While he is ethically and legally forbidden from asking the religious beliefs of the couples who come into his office for a marriage license, Ragionevole says he can figure out who to disenfranchise through simple observation.

"If I see any crucifixes on the bride or groom, they're outta there. If I hear them hold a prayer, they're gone. If I get even a whiff of Christendom, I'm sending them packing. Ms. Davis can marry them if she wants to," Ragionevole told The Political Garbage Chute, continuing to add that he "will stop kicking Christians out of my office when Davis stops kicking LGBT couples out of hers."

"If they can cite their religious beliefs, I can site my deeply-held irreligious beliefs. See how that works? It's all wrapped up in the First Amendment," Ragionevole said.

No comments: