Sunday, June 28, 2009

Respect My Magical Invisible Monkeys

The science-religion accomodationists are at it again, insisting that the reality-based community respect fact-free beliefs in the tooth fairy, astrology and invisible sky wizards.

And they're using the strawman tactic so beloved of wingnut repugs: make up false accusations that are easy to knock down instead of addressing real issues.

The indefatigable PZ Myers exposes the dangerous illogic of appeaser John Wilkins:

It's an asymmetrical situation that will be maintained as long as we have people insisting that we grant religious ideas a specially protected status. I reject that — I'm going to insist that it is fair game to attack the obvious failings of religion. And it's not because I am unaware of the limitations of my knowledge, or because I believe I'm flawlessly rational.

It's because the invisible monkeys in my pants dart out every once in a while to whisper the truth in my ear, in the ancient language of omniscient primates. And that is a source of knowledge nobody can attack me on, by Wilkins' rules.

Read the whole thing.

1 comment:

RichMiles said...

Gah. I thought I was the only one that ever happened to. The part about the invisible monkeys, I mean.

But in any case, I am getting awful tired of religionists. Ever pay attention to the religious structures in Star Trek: The Next Generation, or indeed ANY of the Star Trek series? The only civilization that even HAS a religion is the Vulcans. And they don't shove it down anyone's throat.

Maybe that means there's hope for the human race. But it's 400 years in the future. I don't know if I can wait that long.