Friday, June 12, 2009

Obama Administration Chooses the Correct Side

Dammit, just when I'm getting a good hate on for the Obama administration for its caving on banking bailots and don't-ask-don't-tell and preventive detention and secrecy and single-payer and cap-and-trade, it goes and does something so profoundly liberal, so perfectly Democratic, so making a stand on the side of goodness and light, that I have to
give the fuckers actual props.

Vice President Joe Biden and other members of President Barack Obama's Cabinet have scrapped plans to attend a national mayors' conference in Rhode Island rather than cross a picket line of local firefighters.

I heard this on Rachel just now, and may have hurt myself punching the air and screaming "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

My grandparents were union factory workers, back during the Depression when joining a union meant taking your life in your hands. I've never belonged to a union myself, but I would take a knife in the belly before I'd cross a picket line.

Over the last 30 years, we've forgotten what it meant to make your stand on the side of workers. People blithely stride past strikers on a line, oblivious to the stand they have just taken on the side of management exploiting workers.

I am surprised, gratified and touched that the Obama administration gets it on unions, if not on much else.

Cross-posted on They Gave Us A Republic ....

No comments: