Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another Way to Campaign for Social Change

My preference is always for in-your-face confrontation, especially when the opponent is hidebound and recalcitrant, but I am also a big proponent of Whatever Works.

Like "Polite, But Determined"

Laura Conaway at Maddowblog:




Today in the office, we were passing around this video from the Campaign for Southern Equality. As part of their new We Do campaign, same-sex couples are planning to ask for marriage licenses in Southern states. The installment posted above shows couples asking to marry in the college town of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

You should see this, if only because this kind of activism, repeated in states around the country, is someday going to win. My experience with blogging stuff like this from my native Mississippi, which a few years ago voted to ban same-sex marriage by 86 percent, is that folks not from there tend to hop all over the state. I think I understand why evidence of people trying to make a place more progressive would cause progressives to gloat about that same place being backward. My challenge to you is not to do that this time, or anymore.

(Video by Saving Daylight.)

No comments: