Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Cheer For Abortion

I am a fan of Nicole Belle at Crooks and Liars, but on this one I have to call her out:

No one, I repeat, no one cheers for the existence of abortion.

Wrong. I do. I cheer every legal, safe abortion out there.
    
Abortion is a thing to be cheered. Every abortion should be celebrated with a party. Cards, balloons, gifts, fireworks. Congratulations on your abortion!
    
No, I am not being sarcastic. And I take abortion very seriously indeed. It's because I take it seriously that I celebrate them.
    
A woman has an abortion because she has an abnormal or unwanted growth of tissue that must, for her own health, be removed. Like an infected appendix or benign tumor, its removal engenders relief and gratitude.
    
Even in the case of a wanted pregnancy that has tragically developed a horrifically deformed fetus incapable of surviving on its own, the grief is tempered by relief at a merciful end.
    
Abortion is a safe, simple medical procedure that solves a medical problem. Period.
    
Abortion on demand should be not just legal but free, frequent and available in every neighborhood.
    
And nobody else's fucking business.

Pleading for the legality of abortion because it's so terrible is not just stupid and self-destructive, it is actively harmful to the women who need them. Shame on Nicole and all her sob sisters making it a thousand times harder to keep abortion legal and available.

No comments: