Sunday, November 2, 2008

Voting: Straight Ticket vs. Candidate

Next Tuesday's election ballot poses a quandary for me, and probably a lot of other Democrats in Kentucky and elsewhere.

There are two races in which the Democratic candidate is someone for whom I do not want to vote. Neither, however, can I bring myself to vote for a republican - any republican, but especially not Mitch McConnell (Senate) or Brett Guthrie (House).

At the same time, I am very much looking forward to singing "I told you so" about a year from now when Bruce Lunsford and David Boswell prove themselves to be worthless DINOs far worse for Kentucky and the nation than the defanged McConnell and Guthrie would be in the congressional minority.

So voting a straight ticket would allow me some deniability through self-deception. If I pull the Democratic party lever, I can help defeat McConnell and Guthrie and yet still claim I didn't technically vote for Lunsford or Boswell.

But voting straight ticket will deny me the historic opportunity - the first in my lifetime - to vote specifically for a candidate who will restore the Democratic America that repugs have spent the last 30 years trying to destroy.

A transformational candidate who will be the FDR of the 21st Century. The first Democratic candidate of my voting lifetime for whom I can vote eagerly and without reservations.

The candidate whom Robert F. Kennedy predicted 40 years ago:



I don't yet know what I'm going to do about the Kentucky Senatorial and Second Distrct races, but I know I can't pull the party lever. I can't ignore the candidate who is going to make all the difference.

I am going to vote FOR Barack Hussein Obama for President of the United States of America.

Cross-posted at BlueGrassRoots.

No comments: