Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Voter ID Con in Kentucky

Lists of states with "voter ID" requirements omit Kentucky because the Commonwealth allows you to vote without ID as long as you are personally acquainted with one of the precinct officers, who can vouch for your identity. It also technically allows multiple forms of identification, including social security and credit cards.

This is bullshit. The practical fact is that if you are poor or elderly and thus lack a current driver's license, you cannot vote in Kentucky.

Here's the law, according to the Kentucky Board of Elections:

Do I have to produce Identification to vote?

All voters must produce identification or be known by a precinct officer prior to voting. KRS117.227 and 31 KAR 4:010 provide the types of ID that can be used by the voter such as: Personal acquaintance of precinct officer, Driver’s license, Social Security card, credit card, or another form of ID containing both picture and signature.

"containing both picture and signature."

Everyone who has a social security card, credit card, library card, insurance card or any other card that contains both your signature and your photograph, stand on your head.

My credit cards have my signature, but no picture. My warehouse discount cards have my picture but no signature. Ditto my employee ID card. My health insurance, library, AAA, gym membership, frequent flyer club and ACLU cards have neither.

So, unless you have a current driver's license or you are a personal friend of the precinct officer, you can't vote in Kentucky. I've been voting at the same precinct - with the same three superannuated precinct officers - for more than a decade. But I don't know their names, and doubt they know mine.

On May 22, I'm seriously considering parking a half-mile away, walking to the polling place, claiming I don't have my driver's license with me, and seeing if they let me vote anyway.

No comments: