Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Songs to Fight the Plutocracy By on International Workers Day: "Goin' Round This World, Babe O' Mine"

Uploaded by fredcoonbanjo on Jan 1, 2008

On Peach Creek, in Logan County, WV in the year 1966 I collected this from "Aunt" Jenny Wilson. She was a wonderful 66 year old woman, at that time, fully of life and opinions about everything. Liberated long before it became words passed through someone's lips. She was liberation itself, with respectability thrown into the mix.

A gravelley sounding voice, but a fabulous, smooth clawhammer style she had learned as a teenager. As she put it: "I played for barn dances, bean stringings, quiltins, apple butter barn raisins, making and whatever other excuse I could find to play. Them folks would work hard all day and then pull the furnitur' back at night and dance till they dropped. Them was the times!"

Well, you get the "ide". I hope you enjoy the tune as I am joined by my friend Bill Burke of Flagstaff, AZ.


No comments: