Saturday, December 29, 2007

Roar for Powerful Words




BlueGirlRedMissouri has honored me with a Roar for Powerful Words from the Shameless Lions Writing Circle.

About a year ago, Blue Girl recruited me from the Political Animal comment section to join her group blog at Watching Those We Chose. Apparently she doesn't regret it yet, because this is how she justified the Roar for Powerful Words award:

"I reach out and touch Yellow Dog, my fellow Watching Those We Chose blogger. Remember towards the top, when I said "write what you know"? Yeah, well, Yellow Dog knows Kentucky politics, and writes about it in a vivid and scathing manner. And YD is not shy about a well-placed "fuck" - calling 'em the way they fall, and if you're thin-skinned or delicate (besides the fact you shouldn't be here) don't click the link. Pretty simple, really, and the philosophy I follow here. And to think that a year ago, when I first started wheedling for help at WTWC, I got a bit of resistance, "I'm more of a commenter, I'm not really a blogger." I, being the irresistible force that I am, dismissed those concerns with a "pshaw" and now, Yellow Dog is a regular contributor to three blogs! And we are all the better for it."

Awardees are requested to publicize their award, along with their three keys to powerful writing, and tag five bloggers whose powerful writing we admire. So:

My keys to powerful writing are actually more goals than rules, as I often fail to follow them myself. Nevertheless:

First, Take A Stand. Nothing worse than namby-pamby "on the other hand" mush. If you can't explain in ten words or less why it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or an approaching catastrophe, don't bother writing about it at all.

Second, Memorize Orwell. No, not 1984, although the paralells to our current situation are overwhelming, but rather his essay Politics and the English Language. Written 60 years ago, it remains the best and final word on writing clearly and concisely.

Third, Remember Molly Ivins. She may never have blogged, but I have yet to encounter a progessive blogger who was not inspired by her. She always exhorted activists with the same order: Raise Hell and Have Fun.

Five bloggers whose writing inspires me, and who deserve more attention:

We'll never see Molly's like again, but her Texan Take-No-Shit-and-Keep-It-Funny legacy is kept alive by Susan at Kiss My Big Blue Butt. You know that friend you have who knows everybody and everything that's going on and always has the smartest and funniest take on it all? That's Susan. How can you not love a woman who originally named her website "The World's Most Dangerous Beauty Salon?"

My fellow Kentuckians, from whom I keep learning so much, and whom I'd like to grow up to be some day:

Jim Pence of Hillbilly Report is Kentucky's ubiquitous and indispensible video blogger. If it's a political event in Kentucky and Jim Pence wasn't there to record it, it may not have actually happened.

MediaCzech of BlueGrassRoots is a cross between a curmugeon and a '60s idealist - alternately excoriating state and national Democrats for spinelessness and encouraging progressives to get out and work to elect better ones. Keeps it real with regular "Take Action!" posts with where, when and how specifics. BlueGrassRoots, by the way, is Kentucky's first progressive political blog, established by Ben Carter in 2004.

PageOneKentucky is a relative newcomer, but has made a big splash with some scoops gleaned from its personal connections to Democratic state politicians. Funny, snarky and plugged in, PageOne usually offers a different take from other Kentucky blogs.

Rich at Logical Negativism may be the only Kentucky blogger more shrill than me. Rich was the first blogger I'm aware of who, way back in 2004, predicted that Smirky had no intention of letting go of the reins of power. He wouldn't leave office after losing re-election, Rich said, and he wouldn't leave office in January 2009 if he won. Rich's posts are gems of towering outrage - something of which the blogosphere needs more, not less. The problem is that Rich's posts have been few and far between lately. Stop by and leave a comment asking him to start blogging again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks a million for the tag.
jim

Jake said...

Thank you!