Saturday, March 12, 2011

I Don't "Believe" in Evolution

I also don't "believe" in heliocentrism, the atomic theory of matter, or gravity.

I know that evolution, heliocentrism, the atomic theory of matter and gravity are factual elements of our world.

But I don't "believe" in them, because facts are not subject to belief.

So it makes me nuts when people try to expose the ridiculousness of conservative non-thinking by asking people if they "believe" in evolution.

Wrong question. The question is: "Do you accept that evolution is true?"

If the answer is anything other than: "Of course, only morons don't," then we can safely label that person as a gravity-denier.

I think the ubiquitous reality-denial of the teabaggers, repugs, Villagers and fellow-travelers rests on a linguistic foundation.

That is, the substitution of the verb "to believe" for the verb "to think."

People used to reserve "believe" for matters of superstition. "Do you believe in astrology?" Statements of fact employed "think." "No, I think astrology is a crock."

Now you hear nonsense like "I believe it's going to rain."

Belief replaces thought first in language, then in action. Belief brings the mantle of religion with it, cloaking everything it encounters with the armour of untouchable faith.

"I believe global warming is a myth."

"Really? I know global warming is a fact."

"How dare you challenge my faith!"

"Here's another fact for you: anyone who denies reality in the face of the evidence is a moron."

I have been trying lately to expunge the phrase "I believe" from my vocabulary and substitute either "I think" or "I know."

Because I don't "believe" in much. But I think and I know quite a bit.

Cross-posted at They Gave Us A Republic ....

No comments: